Hip Mobility Surfer Style | Ep. 41
I learn new tricks everyday! Yesterday I was fortunate enough to take some surfing lessons. Great time! During the lesson the instructor was demonstrating a way to loosen up on the board. As I watched couldn’t help but think of how its benefits could carry over to the crossfit world.
Try this out and focus on a couple key points.
- Make sure to establish your 2” squat. That’s your hip hinge, weight shift, torso angle drill.
- When performing the narrow to wide squat – remember toes straight knees out. Don’t let them crash together like the famous Marilyn Monroe picture.
- When preforming the lateral shifting squats try to keep your shoulders level as you shift your weight from one leg to another.
- Also make sure to get real wide… uncomfortably so. You want to get to the point that you’re resting on your adductors (inside thigh) at the bottom.
- Test Squat
- Perform 3 Sets of narrow to wide squats
- Perform 3 Sets of 5 clockwise / 5 counterclockwise lateral shifting squats (30 total).
- Re-Test Squat – I felt a huge difference
- Continue Pull-up Program – Today should be DAY 15 … HALVE WAY THERE!!
Haven’t Started Yet?!?!?!? …… How To Begin The 30 Day Pull-up Challenge:
- If you’re using a band: Use a band setting that allows your max effort to be 8-9 reps (you found this yesterday) and begin at week 1.
- If your strict pull-up max is above 9 rep: Subtract 3 reps from your max effort and begin at the corresponding week (max effort 17 reps – 3 = 14; Begin at week 12: Rep scheme 14,9,8,8,7)
- Perform 5 sets separated by a comfortable rest (1-3 minutes).
- Perform each day, Everyday. CONSISTENCY IS KEY!!!
- If you are failing consistently (2+ days in a row): DROP BACK 2 WEEKS and continue.