WODdoc Episode 56 Project365: Mobility Challenge For Overhead Squat: Gate 3
Today we are testing the 3rd and final gate. Lets recap a bit. There are 3 qualities an athlete needs in order to complete any functional activity.
1. Anatomical (Simple) Range of Motion – The athlete must physically be ABLE to get into the position the movement requires.
2. Functional Mobility – The athlete must be able to retain that ROM during the activity. You will be surprised how many people can bring their knees to their chest but not break parallel in a air squat.
3. Functional Stability – The athlete must be able to keep enough tension and rigidity where needed to stay erect during the movement.
Gate 1, tested simple ROM, the athlete demonstrated they could physically get into the required positions of the overhead squat. Gate 2 tested functional mobility … some functional stability. It took away the wall but still allowed the athlete to stabilize though additional sources (the rig). Today, in gate 3, we will really test the athlete’s functional stability as they will have no external sources to stabilize off of. To pass the athlete must travel through full ROM and remain stable enough to keep the bar from touching any of the boundaries. If you pass gate 3 you are ready to begin overhead squatting with weights.
1. Attempt clearing gate 3.
2. If failed spend 10 mins on instructed work shown in Episode 55.
3. 1 days left of 30 day pull-up challenge!!!! TOMORROW IS TEST DAY !!!
Haven’t Started Yet?!?!?!? …… How To Begin The 30 Day Pull-up Challenge:
- If you’re using a band: Use a band setting that allows your max effort to be 8-9 reps (you found this yesterday) and begin at week 1.
- If your strict pull-up max is above 9 rep: Subtract 3 reps from your max effort and begin at the corresponding week (max effort 17 reps – 3 = 14; Begin at week 12: Rep scheme 14,9,8,8,7)
- Perform 5 sets separated by a comfortable rest (1-3 minutes).
- Perform each day, Everyday. CONSISTENCY IS KEY!!!
- If you are failing consistently (2+ days in a row): DROP BACK 2 WEEKS and continue.