Treating Your Calf to Prevent Shin Pain | Ep. 51
How many times have you not done anything until it hurts? Check that…. Better question… How many times have you done something so it doesn’t hurt? The “it” in those sentences is irreverent… calve, knee, hip, neck… its all the same. Today is simple. We are mashing and stretching the two major players in the calf to prevent shin pain. Why? The calf muscles oppose the actions of the shin muscles. Simple story… if the calf muscles are tight then the shin muscles have to work harder to do their job. That smells like danger…
Don’t Mash Blind, Know Your Anatomy
Pictured above: Gastrocnemius (left), Soleus (right)
1. Mash Calf Complex 2-4 mins/leg
2. Stretch Calf Complex 2-4 mins/leg (1/2 time gastroc, straight knee… 1/2 time soleous, bent knee)
3. Continue Pull-up Challenge (6 Days Left)
Haven’t Started Yet?!?!?!? …… How To Begin The 30 Day Pull-up Challenge:
- If you’re using a band: Use a band setting that allows your max effort to be 8-9 reps (you found this yesterday) and begin at week 1.
- If your strict pull-up max is above 9 rep: Subtract 3 reps from your max effort and begin at the corresponding week (max effort 17 reps – 3 = 14; Begin at week 12: Rep scheme 14,9,8,8,7)
- Perform 5 sets separated by a comfortable rest (1-3 minutes).
- Perform each day, Everyday. CONSISTENCY IS KEY!!!
- If you are failing consistently (2+ days in a row): DROP BACK 2 WEEKS and continue.